Tyler moved up to the Tiny Tot room from the nursery at his daycare almost 2 weeks ago. I have been looking forward to this day for so long because it meant that he would be on the same schedule as the 6 other kids in the room and not on his own schedule (where he didn't nap very well) like he was in the nursery. He has 2 teachers, Ms. Courtney and Ms. Carol, that are in the room together with the 6 kids from his class most of the time and an aftercare teacher, Ms. Carol, with combined kids from his and other classrooms.
 |
| The official moving up announcement! |
There are a lot of changes in this room. No bottles, but that was no biggie for us since we've been off of them for a while. Everyone eats family style at a table, so no more highchairs. Naps are on cots on the floor (which is crazy!) and he gets to bring his blanket for nap. All foods that I send must be pick-up foods...this has been an adjustment for me, because Tyler was eating yogurt every day in the nursery and squeezy applesauce mixed with veggies a lot, too. And I would send things like a whole banana and string cheese not cut up before. Just adds to the prep time now. They have to eat breakfast before they come in the mornings...this has also rocked my world because now I have to get up earlier so he can eat before Russ takes him to school.
They also have a more structured schedule that all the kids follow. And the are incorporating more structured learning into their day, too. Every day on his sheet they send home, they share the things they are learning in group...animal sounds, numbers, colors, body parts, etc. They also sing songs and read books, too. All good things for Tyler, I think.
 |
His new daily sheet. So far every day his "attitude" has had the same words circled: curious, busy, friendly and happy. |
 |
| New daily schedule |
The transition has been hard for us, I must say. I didn't realize how much I loved the nursery teachers until now. I still have not even met his new teachers yet because Russ does morning drop off. I hate that they are gone when I pick up in the afternoon and the aftercare teacher (who I do really like) doesn't know anything about his day if I have questions. :( I know this is normal at a lot of schools and that I will get used to it, but I don't like it right now. Also, I was told that he would nap awesome when he moved to this room and so far I have not been impressed! He has taken (2) 2 hour naps so far. The rest have only been for an hour and on Monday it was 50 minutes and yesterday just 30! Not good! I asked for a call from his teacher to discuss what's happening today, so hopefully we can improve that.
Besides the lack of napping, Tyler seems to be adjusting great in the big kid room...it's just been hard for Mom and Dad! Ha! He is not a baby any more and the hand-holding that we got in the nursery is stopping, I guess. It will get easier, I think. Tyler will stay in this room until he is about 18 months old. All the kids have to be walking really well before moving to the next room and there has to be room for him to move up. Next August, he will move to another school to start 2 year old preschool. The plan is for him to stay there until Kindergarten, where ever that might be! Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment