Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Playroom reveal

I have to start by prefacing that this playroom redo project almost sent me over the edge. I have no idea what has gotten into me lately, but all of a sudden I want to re-do our entire house! We have lived here for 4 years and haven't done a lot to the interior yet (except for the kids rooms) and I have the itch to make some changes. But, it's definitely tougher than I expected to juggle home projects with our normal household and family responsibilities. Plus, it was completely crazy having the playroom out of commission for a few weeks...there was stuff EVERYWHERE!!

To recap, the reason why we decided to do the playroom first over other rooms is because we took out the janky "bar" area earlier this year and converted it back into a closet with doors. We painted the door white and they didn't match the lovely dark tan of the rest of trim and built-ins. This drove me nuts! So, we decided to tackle this room, starting with stripping the wallpaper while Tyler was away at my Mom's. That project was so time consuming, that we hired out the painting...mainly because the built-ins needed to be done with oil-based paint and because the shutters needed to be taken down ans sprayed.

This is the first time we have ever hired out painting and it was a small disaster. I think we just did not find the right painter for our high expectations. The project took a day longer than they told us and they had to come back another day to fix all the places they missed! Plus they left a giant mess and got paint all over my hardwood floors. I was NOT happy. The guy that did the shutters made a complete mess out of them and they still look bad close up. Now that it's finally done and the room is put back together, I am super happy with it...just don't look at the shutters close up! Ha!

Now for pictures...
Before with the grass cloth wallpaper...
The lovely tan trim...
Wall prepped for paint!
AFTER...we went with a dark gray for the ceiling, light gray for the walls above the chair rail and white for everything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment