Friday, April 20, 2012

A weekend at the race track

I took a new job in Sports Marketing on the FedEx Racing team in mid-February. It's been two months now (though it feels like WAY longer!) and I am getting into the swing of things. This job is fun, exciting, challenging and different from any I've ever had. I get to combine Marketing and PR into one, so that is a plus, but I am learning that this job is never "done" and as soon as I check something off my to-do list, 10 more things are added.

So, what do I do exactly?? Well, there are 5 people on our team (including our manager) and we are busy! I manage our PR efforts, mainly for our driver (Denny Hamlin) but also for the FedEx Racing team, in general. With the help of a fabulous PR agency, I coordinate appearances, media interviews/photo shoots/releases and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) events. This is what occupies most of my time! I also work on our FedEx Racing promotions, fedexracing.com, assist with at-track customer hospitality and other projects. I am biased, but I feel like I have the best and most fun projects.Very thankful for that!

The biggest challenge so far has been adjusting to a 7-day-a-week work mentality. Coordinating PR for an actual person can be an every day job and that includes weekends when I'm not traveling. Everything is totally dependent on how our team performs on race weekends, what random thing Denny might say/Tweet or how a media interview goes. So, I have to at least be somewhat "plugged in" all the time, even on weekends, though that may just be fast-forwarding through a recorded race and following my Twitter/email at-track updates.

Additionally, NASCAR races are only on weekends and it has the longest schedule EVER (February to November) with only a couple weeks off. The weekend travel has also been new for me - I have made 4 business trips already (3 of those on a weekend) and have 5 more planned in the next 2 months. Thank goodness for opportunity to ride on the corporate jet sometimes, so I spend less time away from my family!

This past weekend was my longest work trip so far to Dallas for the Texas race. For the past 5 years, FedEx has partnered with the March of Dimes (MOD) and donated the hood of the #11 car to the charity. Texas usually syncs up nicely with the timing of their largest fundraiser, the March for Babies walks. Coordinating the PR efforts for the MOD race was the first really big thing I have implemented since I started the new job.

When you have a new paint scheme (and especially one for a charity), that usually garners some media attention on its own, but we are always thinking of creative ways to get Denny and FedEx in front of the press. This year we included a special six-year-old Kieran Wittstruck, the national ambassador for the March of Dimes. Kieran was born early at 31 weeks and he is one of many success stories for the MOD. He and his parents joined Denny at the track throughout the weekend. In addition to the car, we designed a MOD firesuit for Denny and had a mini version created for Kieran - it was SO cute and was an instant hit with the media and fans!! The family hung out with Denny and toured the FedEx Racing hauler and garage, where Kieran worked with Denny to use some of the racing equipment. Kieran also joined Denny for media appearances, walked out with him during race-day driver introductions, and held his hand over his heart beside his new buddy during the National Anthem pre-race. It was a really fun but exhausting weekend and I definitely fell like I earned my keep!  Ha! I did manage to fit in a little shopping (we stayed in Southlake near a lot of malls) and we had 2 really awesome dinners with our team.
The first thing I saw as we drove into the retail area to our
hotel. Ugh! Missed him! Later we went inside and it 
was
like a glorified store you'd find in a beach town...so random!
Kieran's mini suit was shipped to the hotel and
this was the first time we saw it. IT WAS HUGE!!!
First picture of Kieran after he put on the suit.
He looks like a natural! SO CUTE! The suit 

is ginormous, but it kinda adds to the cuteness.
Yes, we have FedEx Racing branded golf carts. Tracks are 
huge so we need them to get around. And, yes, I drove 
people on this! AND, didn't hurt anyone or myself! It might 
have been Kieran's favorite thing about the race! Ha!
Kieran and Denny at their media availability.
Denny showing Kieran how to use the air wrench.
Kieran was obsessed with any car jack he saw around the
track! You can't see here, but Denny was standing on one side
and Kieran was "jacking him up". He loved it!
In front of the car. I took this picture and sent it
to the MOD and later it was all over the internet, 
Twitter and Facebook. So crazy!
The view from the FedEx suite. We had about 70 customers, 
several other FedEx team members and executives in 
attendance for the race, as well.
My thank-you "happy" from my boss. Everyone  jokes about
my obsession with Diet Mountain Dew. Dale Jr's publicist even
brought me one to dinner as a joke (they are his sponsor). Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun... Altho i have to admit i know nothing about NASCAR so i don't know your guy (or any of the others for that matter)! ;) Glad you are doing PR now too! And lol at you driving that golf cart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm, do you think I knew anything about NASCAR before I took this job!?!? LOL. Part of the reason the transition has been insane. But, I'm picking it up quickly, I'm finding. I do manage to do or say something absolutely stupid pretty much daily, though. Hahaha.

      Been reading... you are soooo close!! Praying that this last day and night goes smoothly and quickly. And that you get some sleep!

      Delete