Friday, January 20, 2012

2012 Goals...a little late!

So, I've been wanting to write a post dedicated to my New Year's Resolutions GOALS and I'm just now getting around to it. Many of the blogs I'm following have done this to hold themselves accountable and I need the accountability. So here goes!

Document 2012.
I started this blog as an online scrapbook for Tyler. I don't have time for a traditional scrapbook and I wanted to make sure we documented all of his firsts. It is also a great way to share what's going on with us with out-of-town family. I have LOVED blogging so far and want to keep it up in 2012. Much to my surprise, Russ really likes it when I blog, too, so that's an added bonus. My main goal in blogging is to convert the blog into a book at the end of the year. I have not started on my 2011 year-end book because the thought of putting all those blog posts is daunting. I plan to use blurb.com and my goal is to finish the 2011 book by March and to work on the 2012 book as I go this year. 


Another thing we have started doing is writing in our  5 year "One Line a Day" journals. I received the Mommy one as a welcome back to work gift from a dear friend and I just LOVE it. It is easy and perfect for the busy mom. I got Russ the regular one as a stocking stuffer and he started it in January. So, we both want to keep up with those. It will be so neat to look back over 5 years worth of posts!

Learn to use our new DSLR camera. 
This goes right along with my "document" goal! We bought our fancy Nikon d3100 from Wolf Camera in October and it is still in the bag! Haha!! I've signed up for a class to help me learn the basics in March, so my goal between now and then is to get it out of the bag and play around with it a little. I also want to dabble in photo editing this year and that may require my to buy some software...we'll see. Another photo goal is to get our digital images and videos organized on our computer. We lost almost all of our pictures this summer when our computer crashed, so there's not that much to organize. But, I'm anxious to get a system in place quickly...we are taking LOTS more pictures now that we have Tyler.


Lose the baby weight! 
This is no surprise. Most people have a lose weight resolution and I'm right there with them! I have 15lbs to go and my goal is for it to be off by Tyler's first birthday and before then would be great. It starts with eating right, which I have not been doing. I also need to hit the gym again, which will help with the weight loss goal. That is so hard for me to write, because I had been a dedicated gym rat for over 3 years before I had Tyler. I always went at least 5 days a week and I loved it. That is one thing that definitely changed after having a baby and I haven't quite figured out how to fit it in. I joined the gym at work and have several at home work out options, so now I don't have any excuses. I just need to get in a routine again. I am aiming for 4 days a week.


Get organized.
I am a fairly organized person by nature (though my desk at work would not show this) and I get this itch every January to organize. I think it is worse this year because we have added a baby to the mix and all of his stuff! I feel like I am constantly organizing his toys and clothes...finding a home for new things and sorting through and storing things he has outgrown. It is a constant project!

Our pantry/laundry room has been a sore spot for me for a while. It was on my list of things to do while I was on maternity leave and it did not get done. It is a hard space because it is very open to our kitchen and you have to walk through it to the half bath that guests use, so it bothers me that it has been in a state of disaster. I couldn't find anything on the shelves, I was buying things I already had and nothing was grouped together. It was driving me insane! So, I have already tackled this project in the new year...check it out!!
Pantry before - talk about a HOT MESS!
You remember my post about Russ building shelves
 in the 
random open space next to these cabinets?
Finished product! I LOVE how Russ made them 
look like they have always been there. And the materials 
were scraps we had around the house!
Added fun green baskets from Target for storage.
A closer look at my baskets.
Basket #1 = sunscreen and bug spray
Basket #2 = cleaning rags and towels
Basket #3 = kitchen hand towels and aprons
Pantry after!!
Now, like things are together and I can see everything.
Notice the liquor has been moved up and away from little hands.
My favorite thing really might be the green recycle bin we
added on the floor. Now we have a place to put this stuff
before it goes to the curb that isn't a brown paper sack!
This is the next space we're gonna tackle.
I have a locker/mudroom Pinterest-inspired
project that Russ is gonna tackle. Yay!
I have many other organizing goals this year and that includes cleaning out all the closets in the house, including those upstairs. I will work on those over time. I also want to create a "command center" in the kitchen on the side of the fridge to corral mail, paper, things to be filed, etc.
Here's another quick project. Added this over-the-door 
organizer to the hall coat closet door for our scarves 
and hats and this closet is done!
Start a night time routine.
I have a fairly consistent morning routine now, but at night is a different story. Sometimes I'm in bed by 9:30p, other nights it's not until 11p or later. Very rarely do I remove my makeup at night...I know I will regret this in 30 years! A lot of time I go to sleep with the TV on, which is also a bad habit. I do always most always write in my Mom journal, but would like to add a nightly devotional. I'm craving consistency lately and I know that starts with a routine that has me in bed earlier with at least a washed face! Plus, I don't always sleep the most soundly so I think this will help.
Invest in our marriage.
As everyone has told us, having a kid changes things. And they are right. Your time is not your own and there are new responsibilities and priorities. However, our marriage came first and we want to honor that in 2012! I think we have done a great job so far of leaving Tyler at home with my mom or a babysitter (we have 2 sitters that we love!) Date nights and adult time are so important and make me appreciate Tyler and Russ that much more. So that needs to continue in 2012. We also want to plan at least one adult-only vacation, in addition to our family beach trip.

I have a few other things I'm thinking about, but this is all I'm willing to document for now. 

1 comment:

  1. You can turn your blog into a book. I do it every year as my "scrapbook." I use a software that you can download online called Blurb. It's a bit time intensive, but really worth it! http://nowlinnews.blogspot.com/search/label/Blog

    ReplyDelete