The kids started at Christ the King last week. We have been talking about this little preschool since we first toured in January 2012 and both kids are finally there. Hooray!! Caroline started in the 18 month room (the youngest age in their program) and Tyler started in the 3 year old room. As much as we loved Balmoral, this is more of a true preschool environment with lots of parent involved and communication, which I am loving so far.
It really felt like the kids were headed to a real school because of all the anticipation leading up to their first day. We had school supply lists for both kids for the first time. And we went to Meet the Teacher night in advance of their first day to get acquainted with their teachers and their classrooms. Caroline's night was first and she had Ms. Scott. We are so excited that sweet Connor, our neighbor up the street, is also in her class. We just love his parents and we hope the kids are fast friends. Caroline had fun playing in the classroom, outside on the playground and also during the Music for Aardvarks demo. The next night we met Tyler's teacher Ms. Beaudry and her assistant Ms. White. We took his school supplies and he got to play in his classroom and meet some of his new classmates.
 |
| Connor and Caroline |
 |
| Tyler's class. This is the only picture I got from his night because it was so hectic. |
Their first day was August 7th. I took both kids on my own (Russ had a work conflict), so that made the day extra hectic. I'm so glad I insisted we get some pictures at home with Russ' help before he left, because they were not cooperative at school for me.
 |
| My big 3 year old! |
 |
| My silly 18 month old! |
 |
| I love Caroline's "cheese face" here... ha! |
 |
| The best picture I got at school. In their defense, there was a lot going on! |
Neither kid was excited to be there. Caroline clung to me for dear life! When we finally peeled her off, Ms. Scott walked her around outside and she seemed to be ok pretty quickly. Caroline is the 2nd child and, by default, a little easier going. She is generally a happy kid, so I think she will do great after a few days of getting over the "stranger danger" with her new teachers.
 |
| Peaking back into Caroline's room after she calmed down. |
 |
Kelly (Connor's Mommy) sent me this picture of Caroline on her cot getting ready for nap on her first day. |
Since we got there late, all the older kids were already gathered in the Nehemiah room for songs and announcements as a school (they do this every morning). I think the site of all those stranger kids was just too overwhelming for him, because he was also clinging to me for dear life and on the verge of tears. I finally got him over to Ms. Beaudry and he did ok, too. Russ got there after all that drama and we went over to the parent breakfast for a quick visit before we headed to work.
 |
| Not a great picture, but you can see Tyler sitting in Ms. Beaudry's lap. |
I was nervous about the adjustment for both kids, but mostly for Tyler. He is not usually a fan of change and is very set in his ways. Plus, having just potty trained him recently and him still being so resistant with #2, I have been very anxious about that for him. After a week, he has had a couple accidents, but mostly has done really great! He has made 2 buddies in Logan and Rett it seems because he talks about them a lot. He seems to like the food they serve for lunch and snacks and it is so nice to not have to pack a lunch for him. (I do still have to send lunch for Caroline, but won't after this year.) He LOVES his new playground and also likes going to Chapel on Wednesdays. I think he feels like big stuff because their entire class walks across campus to the Chapel like big kids.
Russ and I are liking the communication we are receiving, too. Caroline still gets a daily note and Ms. Scott is so sweet in some of the comments she makes about Caroline and her day. Ms. Beaudry sends a weekly newsletter about what they learned that week, which is nice, too. Though getting used to no daily note is an adjustment. The preschool also sends out a weekly newsletter, too. And we are loving the location...it's just a couple miles further west from Balmoral, but the traffic is better for Russ during drop off and definitely for me at pick up. Yahoo!!
 |
| Caroline's first day note home! |
 |
| Showing off the Back-to-School sign that she and her other classmates colored. |
 |
| This note home earlier this week made me laugh. YES, she IS a little ball of energy! |
 |
Caroline's first "homework"...to make a paper doll look like her. I had to add a bow, necklace and bracelet. |
 |
| Another picture courtesy of Kelly. Granna made her this outfit. |
 |
Kelly sent me this one of Connor and Caroline. When they got there that day, Caroline ran straight up to Connor and shared her magnets with him. Awwww! |
Overall, it's been a good first few days and we are excited and proud that the kids have done so well with this transition.
No comments:
Post a Comment