Saturday, March 21, 2015

Tyler Plays Soccer!

We signed Tyler up to play soccer this spring! He has been begging to play for over a year and we thought he was finally ready. This is his first organized sport to participate in, if you don't count the little gymnastics program he did at school when he was 2. :)

There are several places he can play, but we decided on the Munchkin Madness program at Christian Brothers High School across from our house. It is led by the head soccer coach at CBHS and others afiliated with the program and not parents, which I really like. I think it is the right fit for him, first, because it's so close to home! Second, it is only 6 weeks and was very inexpensive compared to other programs, so if he ended up hating it or not wanting to participate, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. And finally, it is very laid back...they focus on skills in a group and then have "scrimmages". We also signed up intentionally with some friends (Preston and Wesleigh) so Tyler would have buddies, too.

We have been talking it up with Tyler, so he was super excited and ready for the first Saturday. True to form, I got all of his "gear" at consignment sales...his cleats, shinguards and soccer pants/shorts. It it all like new and no need to pay full price when they grow so quickly! And the ball was a birthday gift from Aunt Carol and Uncle Mark last year. :)


When we arrived, we found out they were going to split the girls and boys up for the first practice. I was a little bummed that Wesleigh and Tyler weren't going to be together, but was glad he had Preston. We met a a large group first before splitting out. When they said, "ok, if you are a boy, follow me", Tyler excitedly yelled "I'M A BIG BOY!" and ran with the boy coaches.

The started by working on a few skills...stopping the ball with their foot, dribbling and"tick tocks" (passing the ball back and forth between their feet). And also not touching the ball with their hands...Tyler still needs a lot of work there. Ha!

Getting instructions from their coaches.
Here they were told to stop the ball with their head. Clearly, Tyler was not listening. :)
Doing a little stretching.


Go Preston!

Doing a little dribbling against Mommy!
Caroline had to join in, too...
At one point, they assigned the boys a number and when they would call their number, they were t run out to the center and try to kick the ball into the goal. Tyler was #2...I felt bad for the other #2, because Tyler would almost always beat him to the ball, kick a little and then pick it up, run it to the goal and kick it in. Ha!!
Lined up as a #2 and ready to try to score!



He scores!
Caroline loved stealing all the cones.


Then they broke the boys into teams to scrimmage. Tyler and Preston were on the red team. This is kinda where it went downhill for Tyler, some. He got pushed down a couple times and he also fell down and of course came running over crying. We kept telling him that falling down happens in soccer and you just have to get back up and play. He also a little bored and didn't want to play anymore at times. This was all typical, as other kids were doing the same thing.












A lot of pushing and shoving going on. Same team, same team! :)

All smiles after scoring a goal! 

Gosh, these 2! 
Sweet Margo was there to cheer on big brother
Preston...even though she wasn't feeling too hot.
Love these 2 also. :)
Overall, I am super proud of our soccer kiddo!! We waited to sign him up until this year (when a lot of our little friends played last Spring) and I'm so glad we did. He wasn't ready then. I'm not 100% sure he's ready now either, but I think with another few weeks of playing and getting to know his coaches, he will do even better.

Of course, I have some fun videos, too...



Geez, I sound like a country bumpkin in this one..."Kick it, Tyler!" Oh my!



No comments:

Post a Comment