Friday, May 17, 2013

Mother's Day weekend

Mother's Day was this past weekend and we had a lot planned. We spent it together in Memphis with just our little family, since we had just seen my mom and grandmother the weekend before.

Friday, we opened the pool for the summer. It had rained straight for almost 24 hours so the tarp was full of water and debris despite running the pump constantly. But we had scheduled our opening months earlier, so they came and all the debris just got dumped in the pool when the tarp was removed. I was upset that it looked so bad, but Bill assured me it would vacuum up easily once it settled. Well, it didn't, because Russ could not get the vacuum going! After Bill came back out this week and got the vacuum going, it is looking much better. I am praying that the pool is not as much work for Russ as it was last summer and that we get more enjoyment out of it.
Flowers planted and pool opened! Now to get the patio
furniture uncovered and the screened porch cleaned
up and we'll be ready for summer!
On Saturday, we went to the JLM 5K race for the first time as a family. I have done this race 3 out of the 4 years with the JLM and it is one of my favorites...mainly because it's flat, small and supports a cause that is near and dear to my heart. The first year I participated, I set my current 5K running PR (personal record). This was pre-babies and I had been running for almost a year, having had completed my first half marathon a few months before. The 2nd year, I was 36 weeks pregnant with Tyler and I walked the race with my friend Ashli. OMG! I BARELY finished the race, had to stop and sit down in a cop car with air conditioning at one point and we came in dead last! Ha! Last year, we were out of town. This year, Russ said he would do it with me and push the kids in the double jogger. I am just getting back into running after having Caroline, so we ran/walked it. I by no means set a PR, but we finished, I ran a good bit and didn't come in last. The kids did great for the entire 3.1 miles, too.
Meeting Rocky the Redbird
Tyler was obsessed and kept chasing 
him around before the race got started.
My and my babies pre-race.
Tyler was sporting his yellow Grizz headband!
Post-race...Tyler was thrilled to get a balloon.
Sweet C hanging out in her carseat
with a full belly after her bottle.
Fun in the bounce house!


Post-race!


After enjoying  the post-race festivities and getting in quick naps, we went to Nicholas' 6th birthday party. It was sports themed and we were asked to wear our favorite team's colors. Tyler and Russ wore their matching Jeter jerseys, while Caroline and I sported our Tiger blue! Tyler had a good time running around with the big kids and enjoyed popcorn, cheese dip and a cupcake.

Father and son in matching jerseys!
Going in for the slam dunk!


Hanging on the rim is the best part!
Mother and daughter in matching outfits!




As you can see, the Grizz headband
 stayed on most of the day!

This kid loves popcorn!
Trying to climb the tree like the big kids!
That night we decided to attempt a Benihana hibachi dinner as a family for Mother's Day. We thought Tyler would enjoy the show, but he was not super impressed. It is long and you have to wait for your food - he kept wanting to get down. Plus, it did not help that we had a new person who barely did any tricks! The food was good though and Tyler was well behaved all things considered. And Caroline was too...I came armed with a bottle and did not need it since she slept most of the time. We picked up Muddy's cupcakes and headed home to enjoy them.

Watching the chef make the chicken fried rice.
Caroline was sleeping in the background.
Mother's Day started early for me...there are no days off when you're a Mama! Caroline woke up to eat around 6a and I got Tyler up about 7a. We headed to the big bed to wake up Daddy and enjoyed some snuggles and cartoon watching while Russ made breakfast. I have been enjoying my early gifts that I picked out myself (ha!) - a new camera lens and our 2011 blog book that I created and had printed. We headed to church later that morning and then came home for naps for kids and yard/house work for Mom and Dad. After naps, we went to pick strawberries. Tyler enjoyed running up and down the rows of strawberries, holding the bucket and picking the berries himself. We all split a strawberry milkshake before heading home. The strawberries are delicious and we are loving them!
One of my gifts - it contains all the blog posts that I did in 2011.
It took me forever to format it, but LOVE it! This is why I blog, so
we will have these memories. Now, on to 2012 and 2013...
Before church...she is wearing one of MY dresses. My
mom made it and was the only smocked dress
she ever made - she said it took forever!!
Caroline went to the nursery for the
first time at church on Mother's Day.
Picking strawberries with Daddy.








These 2 are the reason I get to celebrate Mother's Day!
Best and hardest job in the world!


Enjoying the best fresh strawberry milkshake!
Our hand-picked strawberries!




Russ had kid duty that night so I could go see "Rock of Ages" at the Orpheum with girlfriends. This was our last show in our season ticket package. We had a great night!
Elisha and I at intermission.

No comments:

Post a Comment