Monday, May 26, 2014

New playset

We decided to take the plunge and buy a wooden playset for the kids for our backyard. We are calling it an early birthday present for Tyler, but really it is for both kids. I have been on the hunt for a used one for a while, but kept striking out. We recently got a Costco membership and while I was there, I noticed they were offering a $100 off special price. So we loaded up the family 2 Friday nights ago and bought it. The kids had fun riding in the cart and eating at Costco for dinner, too.

Russ was actually abnormally excited about putting the set together. Memorial Day weekend was the perfect time to do it since it was a 3 day weekend and we didn't have any plans during the day. It did mean that I had the kids by myself for 3 whole days, though, which was hard work, too. He got all the pieces laid out on Friday and was outside working by 8a on Saturday and before 9a on Sunday and Monday. I did convince him to ask for help, so our friend David came over for several hours on both Saturday and Sunday. Russ said it was really nice to have help, especially for the roof that went in on day 2.  




So thankful for David's help!!


Working door!


Floor done...this was a very time intensive part.
Telescope on!
Steering wheel ready!
Roof part 1, done!
Roof ALL done with the end of day 2!
There were 36 steps in the directions, but most steps had 3-4 parts. And flooring on the 2nd level took 54 screws alone!! Russ worked like a dog for 3 days straight and got it finished by 3pish on Monday. He only stopped when I brought him lunch, to take progress pics or to wrap up for the day so we could get ready for our evening activity. It took 2 full days to get the playhouse part of the set put together and the final day was spent assembling the swing set part, installing the slide and rock wall. Bless him! 


Using the ladder to help with the a-frame.

Swings up!
Slide and bench attached!
Rock wall/ladder = CHECK!
Yes, he took a picture of the last step of the directions. Ha!
FINISHED! With Caroline's seat attached.
What a labor of love!

I kept the kids out of his hair for the most part on Saturday, because I wasn't sure how Tyler would do seeing that his little plastic playset was gone (we sold it to some wonderful neighbors up the street!) and I didn't want the kids to get in the way. BUT, Caroline broke a lamp from being cooped up inside too much, so we got outside and watched Daddy build on day 2 and 3! The kids both LOVE being outside and I was going crazy trying to keep the house picked up, too.



All Caroline wanted to do was play with Daddy's tools!!









Getting a little help from Caroline.
Stopping for smooches.

Tyler was SO excited to go see the finished playset when he got up from his nap on Monday. I wasn't there when he first saw it (because was getting shoes on Caroline), but Russ said he was over the moon! He kept thanking Russ for building his playset and even gave him a big hug. Caroline was thrilled to see that her swing from the side yard had been moved and couldn't wait to swing. I know the kids will have a blast playing on it for years to come.









Giving Daddy Thank You hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment