It has been 5.5 weeks since we started our remodel and it's time for an update. It's fitting that I'm updating today, since today is the original targeted finish date. Bhaha, well that certainly isn't happening, but we have made a lot of good progress towards completion. All of these things have been done since by last update about 3 weeks ago...initial plumbing/electrical work done; passed all initial inspections; insulation and drywall complete; paint done; subfloor done; (2) pocket doors installed; new alarm system installed; cabinets installed; cement board and floor tile installed; granite measured, templated and cut. Whew!
 |
| New sink plumbing fixture done. |
 |
| New water line for fridge. |
 |
| Another view at our "condemned" caution taped floor. |
 |
| Bath pocket door frame going up. |
 |
| New subfloor in and insulation and drywall going up. |
 |
| Drywall and subfloor really made it feel like a room again. |
 |
| Wall opened up for the laundry room pocket door. |
 |
| Wall paint done! |
 |
| Pocket door frame and drywall up. |
 |
| Bath pocket door works! And the wallpaper to the right is gone! |
 |
| Working laundry pocket door. |
 |
| Paint in the laundry room/pantry and half bath is the same color as our den. |
 |
The pantry side of the room. Tyler asked me last night, "where did all the cereal bars go??" It's so funny what he remembers about this torn up space. |
When our cabinets went in, the island was too big. We were afraid of this when we designed it, as it left the least amount of working space on either side that is considered necessary. But, we really wanted our microwave and garbage/recycling cans on opposite ends. We were able to reconfigure the cabinets and put the garbage/recycling cabinet on the wall by the fridge, which is going to work out really well because we will gain an extra small counter for briefcases and bags. And then we just rotated the other cabinets so that all face in toward the sink. I am calling it a happy accident, because I think this layout may work out better in the end.
 |
| Cabinets going in!! |
 |
| This shows the too big island. |
 |
Again, too big island with microwave on the side which would have been really nice, but it was just too tight by the sink and fridge. |
 |
| Too big island with garbage can cabinet on the end as we originally wanted. |
 |
| All the cabinets in! Trim to the ceiling complete where it can be so far. Hardware on. And, the final island layout. You'll notice that the cabinet for the oven was custom cutout for a double oven...who knew you can't buy a double oven cabinet?! |
 |
| The cabinets to the left of the fridge will be the breakfast bar into the den. |
 |
| The "happy accident" garbage can cabinet is in place to the right of the fridge. |
The other big mishap that was luckily avoided was over our floor tile. Because of delays on the install of the cabinets, the tilers actually worked last weekend. I happened to pop my head in the kitchen as they were laying some of the tiles down and noticed that a couple of the tiles had a very different and distinct looking linear pattern that, in our opinion, did not match the rest of the tile that we picked out. Turns out that in a box of 7, at least 1 or 2 had this pattern. Our contractor said it is the manufacturer's attempt to make it look like natural stone, but we hated it. Instead of having to go pick out new tile at this stage, we opted to go through and pick out all the tiles we didn't like. We had to buy 6 more boxes of tile to offset it, but we are happy with the finished product.
 |
The difference in the tiles. Crazy! I don't hate the linear ones, but they don't look good mixed in to us...we are gonna save them and maybe we will use them in a future bath remodel, if we are ever crazy enough to attempt it! |
 |
| Finished tile, laid in a brick joint pattern. |
 |
| With grout and uncleaned with all the CRAZY grout dust everywhere... |
We've had several hiccups so far in working with our contractor, but the biggest has been over the granite. It is going to all work out, I think, but I am pretty frustrated with him over it, yet hoping he will finish strong. Russ deals with contractors every day and says some of these things are normal. However, I am convinced that I missed my calling as a General Contractor...I could totally do this and I definitely think there should be more women in this job. I mean, you need detail-oriented people who like to stick to a schedule, communicate well and aren't afraid to challenge the subs when they aren't meeting your clients' needs...that's totally me, right??!! Kidding...kinda...
We still have some pretty major things left on the to-do list...granite install (scheduled for May 29); backsplash install; finishing electrical/plumbing; finishing out the wall in the den; finishing cabinet/island trim; install crown molding; installing the bath, laundry and all appliances and the final punch list of all the touch-ups needed...there are lots! Though we are still uncertain when it will complete, I am praying and hoping it will be done by mid-June.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't over this already...I am SOOO ready to have my home back. I miss my kitchen sink, counter space, the ability to be able to cook whatever I want, my laundry room, our access to the backyard through the kitchen door and parking in my garage. I will NOT miss the MESS, DUST and CRAP that is all over my house nor the disaster that it is my garage. But, I will have an awesome kitchen in the end...eye on the prize.
 |
I mean, don't you wish this was your garage?? Russ is seriously slowly going crazy every time he walks past this mess. Lol. |
No comments:
Post a Comment