Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Rewind...Part 1

We had such a wonderful first Memorial Day weekend with Tyler, family and friends. It was certainly one to remember, for so many reasons!

I was off on Friday and treated myself to a massage, manicure and pedicure, which was so nice and long overdue! Afterwards, I went to give blood at Lifeblood to help with the critical blood shortage that Memphis is going through right now. I hadn't given since before I was pregnant so when I got to the questions they ask you before you give, I completely forgot that they ask if you've ever had cancer. It hit me that I HAVE had cancer (melanoma Fall 2011) and that I will always have to check this box for the rest of my life. Needless to say, I got pretty upset. Especially since Melanoma is a permanent deferral from blood giving. :( Oh well, I guess that just means that Russ (and the rest of my family and friends) will have to give in my place!!

That night, we took Tyler to his first Redbirds game for KHA (Russ's work) family night. Russ and Tyler went down early. Granna, who was in town for the weekend, and I went down a little later. Russ was definitely glad to see us arrive...it is tough managing an almost 1 year old out by yourself while you are trying to get food in both of you. Tyler loved the ballpark, especially the Jumbotron. He also loved playing peekaboo with his Yankees hat, as you'll see below. Granna and I left early with Tyler, who pooped out before the end of the game. He did not get in bed until almost 10p!







Saturday was the reason that Granna came into town...we were attending Amanda and Hannah's Bat Mitzvah celebration! I babysat for Amanda, her older sister Mimi and big brother Logan all through college and after. I was over there at least 3 times a week; went on vacations with this family; kept all 3 kids in their house while their parents went out of town too many times to count; helped them with science fair projects and homework; drove them all over town; and all 3 kiddos were in our wedding!! Amanda was only 9 months old the first time I sat for her and now she is 13!!  Mimi is 17 and will be a senior in high school and Logan will be 20 this summer and is an upcoming junior at Alabama! So crazy! I truly love this family with all of my heart! Their parents, Elkan and Laurie Scheidt, are so genuine and just good people. Hannah is the youngest of the Orgel crew - Billy and Robin are best friends with the Scheidt's and also had 3 kids (2 girls and a boy) all the same ages. Needless to say, I got to know this family very well throughout the years, too!

Amanda and Hannah had their Bat Mitzvah together (just like older sisters Mimi and Megan) and they did wonderful! The service at Temple lasted over 2 1/2 hours and they chanted from the Torah, led the service and delivered thoughtful and amazing speeches. I was in awe....and I cried many tears! Who were these big, bright, beautiful girls?! After service, we enjoyed a fabulous luncheon at Temple before we headed home. That night was the BIG celebratory bash with family and friends. Every Scheidt/Orgel party is an event (to say the least!), but this one might have topped all the others. It was held at the Agricenter and was a fabulous party. I think Russ's favorite part was the super strong whiskey/sprite mixers and the Gus's Fried Chicken. Mine was definitely getting pics with my favorite all-grown-up Scheidts and seeing a picture of me and the girls from our wedding in the slide show.
Congratulations, Sweet Amanda!!
Big brother Logan!
Beautiful Mimi!
Queen Laurie, as we call her! She is the best!
Wait, you aren't supposed to be drinking!!?? To me you're still only 7! :)
Entering the party...crazy, right??
Beautiful tables!
Check out all those teens on the stage.
Dads, Billy and Elkan, raised up on chairs during the horah!
Had to get a picture together on our way out. Super fun night! 
During the day on Saturday, Granna and Tyler hung out at the house together. We did have a little down time between events and Russ worked in the yard and on the pool fence, while I ran errands and took a nap! (Shhh...don't tell him!) Brian and Lindsay came over before we had to leave and we all relaxed and played outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment