Sunday, December 8, 2013

House projects

We have been doing a lot of things around the house the past few months and I am excited to update the blog with some of our projects.

In mid-October, our new sectional was finally delivered!! Yay! We ordered this custom from Bartlett Home Furnishings the week before Labor Day, so I was more than excited for it arrive. I was so worried that the gray fabric we chose would be too light, but I think it is perfect and even has brown undertones in some light. I love the way the custom pillows turned out, too. People laugh at me when I say that this sectional is going to change our life, but it already has! I LOVE all the seating that it provides and it is so comfy! We got a new sofa table from World Market last month and it looks perfect behind the long side of the couch. I am still playing with the layout of the other furniture for the room. I also ordered a new rug and curtains that I am trying to decide if I like before we hang them...it's funny how buying one piece of furniture snowballs into an entire room redo.

I cannot wait to have this room and the foyer painted after the new year...we are hiring it done because it's such a big project. It will include the walls, ceilings and all the built-ins, shutters and trim! Ahh! I have picked out the paint for the walls in the foyer, but am still trying to decide on the den. When all built-ins and trim are painted off-white to match the rest of the house, this room will look much lighter so the wall paint is tricky.


New table with toy storage underneath! Russ added the hardware. Trying to decide on the lamps...
Moved the recliner in front of the fireplace and moved the
paisley chair from the LR in the back corner. WAY more seating!

Caroline playing on the new rug.
We also finished our garage storage closet organization project this week. It started last weekend when we organized, consolidated and donated unwanted paint. This weekend we took everything out of the closet, put like things together, purged unwanted items, containerized the leftovers and put it all back in. I'm loving the way it looks and I really hope we can keep it this way! Russ told me that he loves going into the storage closet now and is so glad I made us do the clean out...he was not nearly as enthusiastic during the process.


Yep, we consolidated paint into mason jars and I labeled the tops!
Russ added a few pieces of scrap wood we had to the unfinished walls which made
instant tools storage. AND, it took up less space since it was sunk back into the wall.
All the tools neat and organized.
Pool stuff, outdoor shoes, tarps and more.
Even the bikes were hung from the ceiling.
I have also been making a few updates to our master bedroom over the past few months. We recently purchased a new TV and got rid of the armoire holding the 10 year old tube TV. That update alone has made a HUGE different in the space. With that bulky piece gone, I had room for something else for extra storage. I love this antiqued chest I found on a Facebook resale site and it is doubling as a jewelry and clothes chest. I REALLY want a king sized bed, but we have decided to hold off for another year of 2 on that purchase. So, I decided to spruce up our bedding by adding an inexpensive comforter from Home Goods. Another rug that I have been eyeing online for months was finally back in stock and on a super Black Friday sale, so I purchased it, too! I'm on the hunt for new bedside table lamps.


After the painting project, we've really got to slow down the spending, as we DO NOT have a money tree growing in the backyard! Stripping the dining room wallpaper, painting the walls and painting our dining room table, chairs and china cabinet are next on the project list.

No comments:

Post a Comment